On the 13th of January, our project partners Daintree Life are planting 2,500 rainforest trees to permanently close another two service roads in the Daintree Lowland Rainforest. Rainforest 4 is committed to winding back the negative impacts of development in the Daintree. We’ve joined with local partners Daintree Life to close down five service roads and now we need you to get involved!
In the 1980s a developer created an 1,100-lot rural residential subdivision in the heart of the Daintree Lowland Rainforest and over 50 km of roads were built to service the properties fragmenting Australia’s most biodiverse rainforest.
Not all development is permanent. Rainforest 4 is joining with local partners Daintree Life in closing down and re-vegetating five service roads. On the 13th of January 2019, we are closing another two service roads by planting 2,500 rainforest trees.
If you can, please join us in the Daintree to celebrate and get hands-on in planting the 2,500 rainforest trees. If you can’t make it please make a donation to help this project continue. We have a total of five roads to close and need to raise a total of $49,900 to plant and maintain a total of 4,990 trees. Each $10 donated plants a tree. Please make a tax-deductible donation here.
Road Closure and Community Tree Planting event!
Here are the details of the next road closure and tree planting event in the Daintree being organised by Daintree Life with the support of Reforest Now and Rainforest 4.
Sunday 13 January 2019
Location: Cow Bay, Daintree Lowland Rainforest.
Planting of a service road (off Cape Tribulation Road) just north of Tulip Oak Road in Cow Bay. A-frame signs with arrows will be on both sides of the road on the day.
Time: 9.00am start planting. 8.30am registration on site.
- Planting 1500 trees - or whatever we get planted in 2 hours (it's often very hot and humid in January).
- All holes will be pre-dug and trowels are supplied.
- Please wear closed-in shoes, a long-sleeved shirt, gloves, and a suitable hat.
- Please bring water, any food required, sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Please follow safety and tree-planting guidelines on the day.
- Children must be accompanied at all times.
- No dogs please - this area is within National Park.
- For those making a day of it, there is a great hotel just one kilometre away for cool beverages and meals.
Thank you for your support.
Founder of Rainforest 4
P.S. This was once a road running through the Daintree Lowland Rainforest and with your help, we'll convert more roads back to rainforest. To keep this project going and growing please make a tax-deductible donation here.